Saturday, May 5, 2012

Packing Shipping Fun Facts

Probably one of the least favorite parts of my business is shipping. I don't mind sending packages to people at all. It is just the mundane actual act of putting things in boxes and having to do all the packing work that I don't like. There is a lot more to shipping packages than most people think about. If you don't know the basics of shipping, you cannot run an online business.You have to know a lot about how the US Postal Service and UPS work if you use both those services. I tend to use the postal service exclusively so I try to keep up with their rules and regulations. 

Here are some things that will help start anyone on their way in basic shipping etiquette and knowledge.

USPS has  a great website USPS.com that will give you all the information that you need about shipping or tracking packages. The site will also tell you about shipping both domestic and internationally. You can track all your packages that are shipped on the site itself. You can order supplies from the site, schedule a pick up of packages, figure costs of shipments as well as do lots of other cool things there. I use the site a lot!

I will admit that I was very hesitant about shipping internationally when I first started selling merchandise on Ebay. I started selling to US buyers only.  I belong to a great message board called Ebug which stands for Ebay Underground. The group there is great to help out sellers learn how to do new things. My friend Jessica did a tutorial on the We Sell On Ebay Blog about how to sell internationally.   Once I found out how easy it was to do, I opened my selling channels up to international buyers.  In the meantime, I found how valuable the USPS site was for individual country restrictions as to what is allowed and not allowed to be shipped into that country.  I use the site often as there is no way to remember all the restrictions for every country around the globe!

UPS has their own site at ups.com that will allow you to track packages from the site. You do have to set up an account with UPS in order to ship with them. UPS tends to be more cost effective for larger and heavier shipments so I don't use them very often. 

Shipping can be a chore but it has to be done. In addition to knowledge there are a few must haves for a seller in order to ship packages. I am including what I consider these below:

1. Postal Scales-I suggest a digital set that will go up to at least 35 pounds.  These can be purchased easily and inexpensively.
2. Packing Tape- I use this continuously!
3. Bubble Wrap-For fragile Items
4. Boxes- The Post Office will provide free boxes for Priority Shipments and for Regional Priority but you will need boxes for non-priority and for merchandise that does not fit
5. Paper- For filler
6.-Shipping Labels- I use the half sheet self adhesive ones. These are not absolutely necessary but do save a lot of time!
7 Scissors
8 Sharpie
9 Printer- I use a wireless Canon that allows me to print from any laptop in my business.
10 Poly Bags- I use these for clothing and other items that are not fragile. They are much lighter than boxes and save a lot on shipping.

With these supplies and the know how you are in business to ship just about anything for your online business. The rest is patience and a lot of hard work!  Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment